Monday, March 2, 2015

Kolkata : Is it my city anymore?

There is not a second passed in this village that I do not think of Kolkata. To me Kolkata is a living, breathing, growing entity. A part of me. Kolkata is mine. It makes me feel at home. But is this city really mine anymore ?

Sitting at a late night diner on Sunday night I read two very upsetting news.

1. BBC took an interview of the Nirbhaya rapists. And they, without any sign of remorse states that it obviously always is the victims fault. I do not think I was surprised. The fact that I was not surprised was what bothered me. A lot of people's reaction I gauged was that of outrage as to why BBC even interviewed these creatures ( I do not find it in me to call these humans. ) To me the interview was necessary. It proves that monsters do not repent. And right now there are a million of men who are thinking the exact same thing. That it is infact the girls fault. Our country does not know how to protect their women. And it is true.

2.The second was much closer home. My cousin was harassed in the middle of Rashbehari Avenue at 10:30 on Sunday night. I am putting her exact words here.

" Ei sahar take nijer sahar bole bhabte khub lajja lagche ajke...Time raat 10:30 Rashbehari Avenue .... Saharer byasto tomo rasta gulir modhye ekta...
Metro theke neme wait korchi behalar gari pawar jonyo... Onyodiner tulanay janbahon kom seta hoy robibar bole noyto biyebarir season bole... Ekti Otyonto obhodro lok... Pichone theke eshe nongra katha o akar ingit korte laglo.... Bolai bahulya j tini prokitistho chilen naa..ei nongrami chollo pray 5 minute....chitkar kore protibaad korate ashe pasher kichu lok moja dekhlen thik e kintu ekjon o egiye elen na sahajya korte... Thik jani na era ki nitantoi ekta bicchinno ghatana... Naki etai ajkal swabhabik byapar...
Jaihok amar bhagya sahay j ami loktike tariye okkhoto obosthay bari firechi... Kintu sabar bhagya eto ta sahay na o hote pare...
Tomader sabbaike ghatanate jananor uddwesho .... Sabai sabdhan... Kolkata kintu khub unsafe hoye geche..."



After knowing about this my first reaction was anger. How dare the man ?

But then I remembered something an NRI Bengali man I met randomly at a movie theatre, of about 40 told me when I was whining about how much I miss my city and how much I want to go back.

He asked me with a smile. " Are you sure the city is yours ? A city where a female Chief Minister punishes by transferring a female Police Officer because the Police Officer went out of her way to catch the rapists of a shameful rape in the middle of the city is pretty much sending out a clear signal to the women of the city that they are not needed."

I could give him no good answer. Because no matter how much I try to defend my city the city has done nothing to protect her women. And right then, sitting at a diner seven seas away in a small sleepy town at 11:30 pm at night, I was feeling completely safe. Yes I had my friend with me. But the truth is even if i did not have my friend with me in there, I would have felt safe. I knew I could call a cab and that would pretty much ensure that I reach home safe. The cabs are constantly monitored by police radios. And there are police cars at the darkest nooks and alleyways patrolling. And at the same time even if my friend was there with me sitting at Hobby Centre in Park Street at 11:30 at night and I had to go back home in a cab, I would feel unsafe and nervous in my own city. Or maybe the city truly is not mine anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Why do you look for help from others? Can't you help yourself? It does not matter if you are in the city in the country of your citizenship or if you are in a sleepy hamlet in a country where you are a mere non-resident alien. I can recall form 1989. As an adolescent, holding my mother's palm I was on the elevator within esplanade metro station when a man pinched me repeatedly at buttock and then vanished inside crowd. Then there was no female CM but women were then also unprotected. In 1990 while walking out of Howrah station holding my father's hand I felt someones nimbling my flesh beneath my armpit from behind. I started changing side to avoid the attack. In a few minutes walk my father smelled the archin and asked me if I am disturbed. I confessed. He explained that I must retaliate. Since 1996 how crossed Howrah station almost everyday and I never missed a punch on the faces of men trying put hands on me or any female around me. In 2006, I was in galloping Kharagpur Local and two men boarded the ladies' compartment with football team. I requested them to change their compartment of travel. In response they started threatening me of consequences. I called 100 from the running train. They dispatcher at 100 confirmed my location informed RPF posts and stayed in line till I told them that the men left the compartment. Twice I was disconnected, but they called me back. During this year and after, no police stations outside Kolkata was ready to help me pursue criminal cases against government offices I had to pursue as a government employee. In nutshell, as individual I found if I venture to protect myself, I am a winner, but as an element of society, viz. Government Employee, my endeavours are choked by corruption. So, I beg you to stand out as individual, retaliate and protect yourself, take a chance and call 100 for help. NRIs can speak n number of jargons, I can hardly believe them. They did not live my adult life I am living since almost thirty years.

    ReplyDelete