Friday, March 20, 2015

My Experience in an Amreecan Village Part 3 : There is water in the kitchen.

Thursday morning I wake up an hour early than usual thanks to my roommate's "Aaaiyaa. C. Wake Up. WAKE UP !" As it is I am having a little trouble adjusting to all this day-light saving thing. My body does not know that 7 AM is now actually 8 AM.  That is another thing about this country. DSL. Sun goes down at 8 PM now. Crazy !! Anyways. Back to the topic at hand. I wake up to "Aaaiyaa. C. Wake Up. WAKE UP !"

I get out of my room rubbing my eyes and see that she is in one piece. A few hair out of place. But then she was sleeping. I was expecting atleast a few horrible cuts. Otherwise waking me up at 7:30 AM in the morning(which is technically 6:30 AM) is just cruel. I try to make sense of the situation and ask her as politely as I can manage " What the?? Are you ok?? Why were you screaming?" She points to the general direction of the Kitchen and says " There is water in the kitchen". At this point I am thinking "Ofcourse there is water in the kitchen. That is where we keep our Brita fliter jug." So I try again(politely) and this time I use the ever expressive "Huh ?" (which reflected my innermost feeling of concern that she might have lost her marbles). She points again towards the kitchen and tells me "Just go look.Please."

It is 7:30 AM in the morning(which is technically 6:30 AM)and I was not wearing my glasses and I was wearing my favourite fluffy pink socks. I step into the kitchen and immediately freeze. Out of shock yes. But also because I was ankle deep in freezing cold water. Inside the kitchen. I look at PNT (the roommate) and say "There is water in the kitchen." She replies "I know."

At this point we wake up our third roommate. PHS comes out. She is unusually calm as if finding freezing water in the kitchen is a regular affair! She tells me to call the maintainance emergency number.  Every thing she is telling me I only assimilate half of it. Because I am barely awake. I get rid of my pink fluffy socks and call the maintainance guy.

There is a knock on the door exactly after 15 minutes. I open the door and the 6 foot 6 inch Mike is standing there. He smiles and says "You girls have a situation at hand it seems." And then there is a mini invasion. A very efficient mini invasion. Mike and I dont know her name but let us call her Molly works efficiently. They know what to do. They don't want any help. And they clean everything. The entire kitchen. Including carpets.They actually secretly make me slightly grateful that our Kitchen was flooding

I could even get ready for work. It was only when me and PNK were leaving that I went over to Mike and asked him if he needed something because we were all leaving. He said "OK." Then it occured to him and he asked "Are you all leaving?" I said "Yes" He just said that he needed to leave the blower inside so that our place dries up and might come in later to move it to the hall. And then he smiled and said "Have a nice day girls"

The blower is still sitting in our hall. Because our hall is still wet. It is nice having it there actually. Standing and opening the keys of the door feels like a mini Bollywood movie. With your hair blowing and your skirt flowing.

1 comment: