Thursday, February 20, 2014

SANDIP


  • NAME : Sandip
  • AGE : 25
  • LOCATION : Rabindra Sarabor(Lily pool aka NO LOVER's POINT)
  • PROFESSION : Art Student.
  • ETHNICITY : Bangali


Me and KB took a long cut through the lakes one afternoon while on our way to lunch to Mandarin. We ambled along and we were accompanied by BP and MKRR and were just ambling around beside the lake. They were visiting our city from Blore and KB decided to take them to "No Lover's Point" i.e. the Lily Pool. As we enter we saw two boys sitting there with their canvas and their art supply and lost in their painting. They were painting the trees and did not even look at us goofing around. I went up to one of them and asked him his name. He replied without even looking up "Sandip". At this point I inquired if I can go ahead and bother him a little. He looked up a little startled and then said "You are not disturbing me".

Me : Do you come here often?
S : Yes
Me : Why here?
S : Because of the trees
Me : But why trees?
S : Because a tree has rhythm, it grows, it has life and it is its ownself ! That is why.
Me : Is it not difficult to depict a tree in your painting ?
S : I am not sure I get you.
Me : A tree is not stagnant. It constantly moves. The leaves move. How do you capture that in your painting?
S : Well that is the secret. Until I can capture that I will never be a true artist. There are some paintings where you can feel that the tree is moving that the river is flowing. That is a true painting.
Me : Do you have any favourite painter ? Are you inspired by someone?
S : As a student Everyone is my favourite. I must learn from all of them.
KB : Where did you study before joining Art College?
S (smiling to himeself): Before Art College I studied Mechanical Engineering Diploma for 3 years because of my parents and that is what they wanted. 
Me: Dear LORD ! I understand what you mean.
S: But I hated it. I was unhappy. I hated  everything. I hated working and so I quit and joined Art College.
Me : But tell me something, even Mechanical Engineering has Art and Drawing and sketches.
S (looks at me as if I am the stupidest person on earth) : But they are not trees. They don't have Life.


P.S : Picture courtesy BP(Black Peeper).



No comments:

Post a Comment