Sunday, January 26, 2014

Social Experiment 4 : Spit like a MAN !!

So I have watched Titanic about 20 odd times and I remember most of the dialogues by heart. Yes I know super sappy of me. But who cares? Not me. And not the 51 odd men who spat in the middle of the road with elan !(What I mean is that they don't care. In general.Not about me watching titanic.) Should I also just include the two guys who blew their nose? Oh I feel whimsical, so I will. So the count is 53.

Let me reminiscence a little and tell you people how this idea actually came to my head. KB and I were walking down Southern Avenue on a perfectly nice evening when a shining black i10 came and halted because of the red light, just beside us. A guy in a shining black shirt which matched the colour of his i10 made this noise as if he was trying to regurgitate his intestines and then spat just beside us on the middle of the road. Sadly me and KB are not fans of this fine art of spitting( and perhaps never will be) and our reactions were spontaneous. I said something on the lines of "Ekta tene thappor marte hoy"( He deserves a tight slap). and KB said "Shala Idiot"( I am not really sure how to translate Shala to english). The guy obviously having mastered this art-form thought himself above us and drove his super shiny car away without even batting an eyelash. And then KB exclaimed in a disgusted tone that she wants to do an experiment on people spitting in the middle of the road.

And so the thought remained with me. And today while coming back from Rajarhat to Tollygaunge via Selimpur and Charu Market, I decided that I will actually record and count the number of people who spat on the road. These people are from various strata of society and their way of spitting also varies greatly. Some are silent, some are almost musical. Some are just spit and phlegm while most are red-tinted tobacco spit. But then they have two things in common. Everyone seems to be quite proud that they are using the road as their personal spit bowl and all of them were men. I am sure women spit as well but I did not witness a single one.

I know our Chief Minister wants to paint the city in hues of white and blue, but if only she gave the spitters of the city a chance, they would have painted it in shades of red and that too for free.(No pun intended. Only paan intended). They infact are so considerate and selfless that they already are painting the city incessantly. Maybe just like in "Lage Raho Munna Bhai" the next time we see someone spit we should go and smile and say "Thank You for painting the city red."

And as I end this post I leave you with the immortal lines of Rose and Jack...........




P.S. - Also have anyone noticed that people seem to spit more where there is a No Spitting sign?

2 comments:

  1. The other day at Hazra More, right in front of Basusree Cinema, I saw a youngish guy sitting pillion on a motorbike spit a whole mouthfull of paaner pik on the road, right in front of me (I was just behind him). I GLARED at the guy with all my might, and he actually got super startled, and then averted his eyes. I continued giving him the death-stare without let-up, and let me tell you, I have a GOOD death-glare. He turned back twice, both times to find me continuing to glare at him and got kinda nervous and also, very surprised. Traffic started moving, the bike did too but he kept looking back at me even as they were speeding off, to find my angry eyes fixed upon him. I think I spooked him.

    It felt satisfying, but still too little. Wish I could've made him get down from the bike and mop up his ghastly red spill.

    ReplyDelete